osTicket is one of the best open source ticketing softwares I have encountered. Here are 9 points that may help you while and after installing osTicket. I am not going to repeat what is already present in installation guide but want to compliment it with my findings.
- Download is available as a .tar.gz extension. Use unzipping softwares like 7zip to first uncompress .gz and then .tar. Finally you will get a folder like osticket_1.9.0 (or osticket_x.y.z in general)
- You only need to upload the contents of upload folder inside osticket_1.9.0, do NOT upload the upload folder itself to your webserver. (Here I am assuming you have uploaded the contents inside support folder. This will be needed in the next steps)
- After uploading the files above, go to yourdomain.com/support/include and rename the file ost-config.sample.php to ost-config.php. Make sure you chmod it to 777.
- Now create a mysql database inside your webhost control panel. Note the database name, hostname, username, password. These will be needed in next step.
- Now you are ready to use the web installation script which can be located at http://www.yourdomain.com/support/setup/
- Once done with installation, make sure to chmod ost-config.php back to 644 and delete the setup directory.
- You can go to http://www.yourdomain.com/support/scp/admin.php?t=settings to modify settings. In case you wish to enable attachments for users, click on attachments tab and check various boxes acc. to your requirement. By default the maximum size allowed for an attachment was 1 MB which I found to be quite restrictive so I choose to increase it to 10 MB (10485760 bytes) Similarly I have included .doc, .pdf, .docx, .zip, .jpg, .png, .gif, .bmp, .txt as accepted file formats.
- Attachments folder option is a bit tricky one. You need to give the complete path of the folder where you wish to send the attachments. So I suggest you to create a new folder under support folder called attachments. Now you can either ask your webhost to provide you a complete path to the folder you created above OR create a fie called test.php inside the support folder and paste this code inside it
<?php echo $_SERVER['DOCUMENT_ROOT'];?>
Now run http://www.yourdomain.com/support/test.php and you will see the complete path to the folder.
- When you go to create a new ticket, you will see an additional field for phone number. in case you wish to remove the phone number field follow directions here
Bonus Points –
- In case you use Google Apps for domains and want to set that for incoming emails with OSTicket, use this link (Remember you can’t use Email Piping feature with Google Apps you have to go for Pop Access and enable cron on your webhost)
- In case you get errors in osTicket when an already logged-in user tries to submit a ticket, follow the 2nd point on this post.
- In case you get a 403 forbidden error while using a redirect link from your support site , say http://www.yoursite.com/support/l.php?url=http://www.anothersite.com&auth= , ask your webhost to whitelist a mod_security rule.
Free eBook: Important WordPress Plugins
An exhaustive list of all free, premium WordPress plugins we use across network of our wordpress sites.